Blending learning is training that combines classroom learning with e-learning training and makes the most of both worlds. Blended learning is a trend that is gaining ever more devotees in both formal education and in business education, since it is very attractive for digital natives and makes it possible to provide training beyond the classroom. Do you want to know how to make the most of it? Here we go!
What are the advantages of using blended e-learning?
Blended learning offers many advantages:
- Unlike the traditional classroom format, blended learning exploits all the available technological resources: virtual materials or online courses and other multimedia resources; digital communication tools such as email, chats or fora; the option to give a class through a video conference, widerooms or webinars; and virtual learning environments such as LMSs.
- The student can access these resources flexibly. He/she can review the classes when it suits him/her best and however many times he/she needs.
- The trainer, for his/her part, can reuse the materials in different training sessions. For example, he/she can adapt different sections of various training sessions to create a new one, or reuse old materials by adapting them to a new audience.
- Unlike 100% e-learning training, blended learning makes it possible to exploit classroom time to answer questions and work as a team. With blended learning it is possible to exploit the use of the flipped classroom, where the student learns the theory through e-learning and meets in class to do exercises and put into practice what he/she has learnt with the trainer’s guidance.
- With this model, blended learning allows for personalized learning. The training may offer help to students who are having problems with different subjects. Thus, the trainer changes his/her role as regards the students: more than a person there to explain content, the trainer becomes a tutor or facilitator who guides and motivates the students.
- Moreover, distance training makes it possible to have specialist trainers who can’t attend in person. For example, a specialist in a given subject can give a master class on a video that the students can enjoy in the comfort of their homes and when they prefer.
- The students, for their part, may discuss among themselves through the forums or chats available on many LMS platforms where you’ll publish your course produced with isEazy. In this way, it becomes bidirectional and the trainer exploits these channels to complete or clarify the explanation he/she has given in his/her online course.
What does blended learning involve?
Blended learning involves important changes in the training paradigm. Here we explain the main ones:
- In blended learning, the student is the focus. It is he who decides when and how he consumes the course materials remotely, and during classroom training, it is his queries and questions that set the pace. His/her participation, or lack thereof, may be the determining factor in the success or failure of a course.
- The trainer, for his/her part, ceases to be the sole source of knowledge and adopts the role of guide for the students, so that they themselves build their learning. In blended learning, the trainer must provide the content, stimulate the learning, energize the virtual classroom by promoting participation and offer personalized help to the students by taking into account their needs or difficulties.
Knowledge of new technology
For blended learning training to be successful, it’s important that the students know how to use the programs required within the virtual classroom, but the most important thing is for the trainer to have completely mastered all the new technology available to him/her (and use his/her imagination!) to make the most of its potential. Here we offer you some advice as a trainer:
- When distributing your course, don’t forget that you can integrate it into your LMS. If you don’t have one in your company, don’t worry! You can continue to enjoy all the potential of your course if you distribute it as a link, which is the simplest way of sharing a course with your students. Knowledge, always accessible!
- It prefers short modules or videos to long ones. In that way, the students may enjoy them without the need to feel they have to spend too much time on it.
- Content for multi-devices, always. It’s important that all the materials can be accessed from any device: computer, tablet or mobile.
- Use formats that can be navigated easily. Courses with excessive interaction or with complex navigation may be frustrating for some students. Moreover, a course with visual clarity may be used for both e-learning training and classroom training.
Easier with isEazy
As always, isEazy gives you the tools so you can create the best courses, and there’s no difference for your blended learning courses!
With isEazy you can:
- Create courses with visual clarity and the right amount of interaction for the aims of your courses.
- Export them to SCORM format ready to upload to your LMS without the need for technical knowledge.
- Include gamification elements, such as word games or a Trivial Pursuit-like quiz, to motivate your students both inside and outside the classroom.
- Duplicate courses or copy slides, so that you can exploit the material you have created for new courses.
Create courses that can be enjoyed in multi-device format: computer, tablet or mobile. Thus, your students will access them when and where they want.
Have you ever tried blended learning? Try it, we hope you have great experiences with it!